View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 10:19 AM

Location: the Netherlands or Holland, whichever you prefer ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naccoachbob View Post
Joost, this is looking fantastic. Your inlay work is pretty cool. I especially liked the inlays on the fret board, even though the rosette is very nice.
Two questions for you.
First, I know that you want the wood to be dry when building. By soaking the sides, do you find that too much water is introduced? You said you clamped them up for 3 days to dry out. Have you found drying out to be an issue at all? (Two parts to one question ).
Second, you used epoxy (IIRC) on the back. Was that on the inside or outside of the back? If on the outside, is that essentially your pore filling for the back or will more be required?
Bonus question (because I can't count): Do you know of anyone who has pore filled their b&s, after they're bent but prior to joining the top and back?
This is going to be a very, very beautiful guitar.
Bob
Hi Bob,
Thanks. No, by soaking the sides and putting it on a hot bending iron, almost all the water will be gone. After a few days it is dry again.

Yes, I used the epoxy on the outside of the back. It does do a lot for pore filling. Only very little will be required if anything at all.

I don't know anyone who has filled their back and sides before joining. Usually you do that when the guitar has been put together.

My Youtube Page

My Video Recordings
My Audio Recordings
My Sheetmusic

My Twitter