View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

I play far more acoustic these days than when I was a shred metal electric player in the 80's, and I think it does help my electric playing. I'm a lot more precise than I used to be. I use my pinkie far more than I used to, probably partly because I spend a lot more time playing seated (I used to always, always play standing). I'm more creative, and I spend a lot more time playing solo (vs. with a band, or along with records). I've gotten pretty good with several alternate tunings on acoustic, and I use some of them on electric too (I used to always, always play in standard). And I use my fingers a lot more than I used to, playing hybrid on electric too and not just on acoustic.

Downsides? I'm not sure there are any, but I do play slower these days, and I'm much less fluid with single-note runs. I don't think I can blame acoustic for that, and I'm sure I could still shred if I practiced shredding, but I'm not that interested in playing that style anymore. I'd rather spend that time learning more harp guitar.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear