View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Great thread.

I've recently gotten back into playing the electric after a couple years away due to a bout with tinnitus (which I [knock on wood] seem to have gotten under control).

Although I'd say electric and acoustic guitar are definitely different animals, I found that my "electric feel" and technique came back pretty quickly.

It's interesting, for my first ten years as a player, I was almost exclusively an electric player, and as one would expect, that early predisposition has stuck with me. I always feel immediately comfortable with an electric in my hands, regardless of how long I have been away from it.

A couple of observations about getting back to playing an electric after a few years "acoustic only":
  • Barre chording has always been a strength of mine (and I'm sure those early years on electric are to thank for that), and now getting back to playing a well set-up electric with 9-42 strings after a few years of just playing acoustic guitars with 12-54 strings, I am a barre chording machine!
  • Right hand tremolo is also a strength of mine, and though I get to use that on mandolins, I was rarely able to find a decent application for it on an acoustic guitar. On an electric, however, it fits right in.
Rock on.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...