View Single Post
Old 07-02-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
For me it's a six-way tie:

*Little Wing - live version Royal Albert Hall 1969 - a beautiful song with massive performance energy.
*1983... (A Merman I Should Turn To Be) - super examples of the unearthly sounds he could create.
*House Burning Down - humorous lyrics with anthemic playing. What a combination.
*Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - an in-studio 'jam' on a completed album cut that became rightfully legendary.
*Drifting - like Angel, a softer ballad, but with exquisitely gorgeous playing.
*In From The Storm - a preview of where he was heading, some progressive elements.

It's funny to hear people dismiss Hendrix from a vantage point 50 years after his death. Hendrix wasn't revolutionary for electric guitar because he was more technically advanced than anyone else on the planet.

He was revolutionary because he brought a suitcase full of new techniques and approaches that no one else was using and wove it into an instantly identifiable sound.

These days 9 year old players can 'out-Hendrix' the real thing. But none of them would be doing anything if Hendrix didn't invent it first.

I happen to prefer pioneers over those who come afterwards. Doing anything original in life involves huge amounts of courage, drive and vision.
These are some really great choices. The Royal Albert Little Wing was on In The West, if I recall correctly. As was the Voodoo Chile, Slight Return. But because of ownership issues, credit was not given. In The West was my favorite for so long.

Have they ever reissued this concert? It was fabulous. I have a so-so video copy. It's funny because they left the lights up really bright at the show.