View Single Post
Old 05-11-2021, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHat,NoCattle View Post
What a fantastic community this is. The “new guy” posts a question that takes more than it gives, and ~24 hours later receives 10 thoughtful responses. A huge thank you to everyone that took the time to respond. I’ll try to give back later in the year, if anyone is interested in following a Circa (John Slobod) custom build.

Interesting that the Edwinas are a little controversial.

Sounds like the consensus is that I need to slow down before I pull the trigger on this, and think carefully about both treatment of the recording space and, as Chris suggested offline, what mic will work best for my voice. Although I’ve played for 35 years, I’ve never seriously pursued DIY recording beyond low cost mics (AT3035, AKG SDCs around same price point) until now. Business pursuits & some luck have made it easier to pursue at 50 than at 20. Although I’m in a home office recording situation right now, I will build out a proper studio space at some point in the future, so I’m viewing this mic as a foundational piece. But the current space constraints point me to a very simple setup that can be easily moved around, but won’t be jettisoned when I improve the recording space. The plan is to start with a great mic and supplement with a pre-amp and audio interface of similar quality.

Another noob question to help move to the next step: is there a practical way to demo a bunch of LDCs in one shot, other than a) visiting a shop like Vintage King when they fully re-open, or b) renting studio time? Are there suppliers other than Vintage King that anyone can recommend that allow customers to try multiple mics at the same time (for reference, I’m in Northern California)?

Thanks again for your generosity in sharing what you’ve learned.
Audio Test Kitchen may be useful to you.

https://www.audiotestkitchen.com/