View Single Post
Old 09-17-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Brantley View Post
I am new to the forum. I have been kicking around the idea of building an acoustic or classical for a while. I have most carpentry power equipment (I am an avid woodworker). I would need to get all the specialty tools and a jack plane. Wondering If you all recommend starting with a kit or trying to build from the ground up? I am slightly concerned about the quality of the kits material wise. I am also more concerned about dropping a lot of money and ending up screwing it up. It's not like building a hope chest, so I suffer no illusions about my ability in that regard.

Paul
Kits that I have seen are of good quality. So I would not worry about that as long as you get one from a reputable source.

Having said that I'm of the opinion, especially since you are already a woodworker, that starting from scratch is better. You will have much more pride in building your own from the bottom up even if it doesn't look so great imho. And like you said you can make one from cheap materials to start and save a bit of money.

Now having said that again, I understand the kit mentality. I am right now for example in the process of buying a kit build amplifier. I don't understand electronics well enough to design my own amp and a kit will be a great way to start.