View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 04:16 PM

Default NMD: Apogee HypeMic

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I do like the idea of an ambient amp in the background and could easily try that. Might just plug into the monitor port of the mic and through the aux in. It would give you a little monitor. But I guess you could get a feedback loop if you’re not careful with the monitor pan switch.
This is the video that started me thinking about using an ambient amp for a little added low end and reverb. As far as I can tell, it’s just the little XY mic array of the Zoom H6 recording, but the guitars are plugged into either one or two amps and that sweetens the sound immensely. I’m deaf in ear and have my iPad set to mono playback, so I can’t tell if there are one or two amps.

This is one of the best Zoom H-series recordings of this sort I’ve heard. Over headphones or good speakers, the guitars sound really full and beautiful, and I believe that in large part is because of the ambient amp(s) filling out and sweetening the direct acoustic sound.

Of course the music and playing are spectacular as well...

Anyway, this is what I’m trying to emulate by using my acoustic amp just out of frame. The HypeMic compression should really bring the amp low frequency and reverb sweetening.

https://youtu.be/H_fduLBab9A

Last edited by lkingston; 05-12-2020 at 04:58 PM.