View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Got anything to contribute related to the OP ?
I kinda do.

It stands to reason that DIY people who do a lot of me-myself-and-I recording would be interested in either the Slate or this new one. But I don't think I've ever heard a full production, pro or am, that was entirely recorded with one. But I'd really like to. I think it'd show what its true character is, regardless of whether the emulations sound like real mics.

Part of the reason I say this is because, a few years ago I spent a long day with a lot of time to kill (waiting for client feedback) in a room with a Yamaha 01V in it, along with a Sennheiser 416 shotgun mic. I had this little song I had just written, so I tracked it soup to nuts with that stuff. Most recording pros, I think, would agree that the 01V is mediocre at best in every way, and the 416 is nobody's first choice for anything musical. Yet the end result was pretty distinctive and far from awful, and a lot of people I played it for thought it was done on tape.

Point being, I'm guessing that these mic systems have a "personality" and I'd like to hear what it is.