View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 06:07 PM

I remember some of the early Taylor clinics / prototype Road Shows. Got to hear Chris Proctor and Doyle Dykes play from less than 10 feet away, and meet them afterward. Those were at Tall Toad Music in Petaluma, CA, and that must have been in the late 80's or very early 90's. It helped put Taylor guitars on my personal radar. The Road Show format developed from those early clinics, then evolved into the format we see today. I have been to probably eight Road Shows over the years, in several different states. The last one was here in Boise on NOV 30.

I really enjoyed some of the events right after the NT neck was introduced. They would connect with a current Taylor owner before the show and offer to set up his/her NT guitar. Then during the show the tech would (without warning) unbolt the neck and casually hand the disembodied neck to the shocked owner, proceed to change the shims, reattach the neck, and then put on new strings. The whole thing took 7-8 minutes in front of the crowd, and the expression on the owner's face was priceless!