View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
Can someone define a folk guitar for me? From the pictures I've seen, they seem to have a body intermediate between a dreadnought and parlor or classic, and often look to have a skinny neck. Is that it? I grew up on folk music (Joan Baez, etc.) but never gave much thought to special guitar needs. Thinking about potential travel guitars got me wondering.

Thanks!
Steve
Steve I'm an old folkie from the 60s and really pretty much any acoustic guitar played at that time was considered a folk guitar. Martin made a 00-18G that was a gut/nylon string guitar they called folk, Joan Baez played a Martin 0-45, Richie Havens played a big Guild, Judy Collins a Martin D-28, Buffy Sainte-Marie played Ovations, Martins, Peter Yarrow of Peter Paul and Mary played a dred (Martin I think), Paul played a nylon stringed guitar...so as you can tell it was all over the place, still is if you look at what folks are playing now.

In terms of a travel guitar, I highly recomment the Voyage Air, I've had a Little Martin and Washburn Traveler but they just didn't work for me. I love my Voyage Air, as a matter of fact I just got back from playing an open mike with it, checking out the new pickup I had put in before my next trip.

Hope this helps, joan