View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Ok, thanks. I'll make up a translation table and do it manually.

I also have to figure out what it is exactly that I want to do. I could do a table that just assigns the standard tuning notes to what ever tuning I choose, but that might not be the best key for the new tuning. Trial and error .
Yes, there are two separate concepts here: transposing and changing tunings. You can do either one or both, and both get you into similar issues. Certainly things will work in one key and not another on the guitar - something as simple as hammering on between two notes may have to change if you just change keys. With alternate tunings, strings may change, plus the biggest reason to change to another tuning may be to take advantage of something unique about that tuning - not just playing the same notes you would in any tuning.

As far as transposing, you can certainly make a table, but it's not hard to do in your head if you think in terms of scale degrees. Chords, for example, think I, IV, V not C,F,G. once you do that, you can easily map the I, IV, V in any key to another. Melody notes are the same. Instead of thinking of playing an A in the key of C, think of that note as the 6th note of the scale. Then it's easy to move to any other key: 6th of E is C#, 6th of D is B, 6th of Ab is F and so on.

I did a quick demo of what I was talking about with using a tab program, I'll post as soon as it uploads to you tube