View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

I'm with both Rick's here. You can use EQ, and a pultec style is an option, but there are so many tools available, it depends on what you want. But I usually try to use as little EQ as I can. Ideally no EQ, but if you need a db here or there, no big deal. But getting the sound right with guitar choice and mic placement almost always sounds better to me than any drastic alterations.

Since I've heard Anton in person and recorded him several times, I'm aware that he just gets a pretty dark sound. That's not a bad thing, he gets a nice warm, round tone, probably partly technique, part instrument, part his arrangements. I think this recording sounds very good, and sounds like Anton. Trying to boost highs that aren't there in the first place will tend to sound unnatural. I think Anton's more on the right track with increasing the width of the image. The track sounds good as-is, but perhaps a bit more spaciousness (from mic placement tweaks) would "open up" the sound, and address any perceived lack of presence better than an EQ boost, while sounding more natural.