View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Certainly, learning about & using great gear, & achieving that nice, natural acoustic sound on my guitars occasionally is reason enough to, well, to just do it, right?
Well, the beauty of doing music as a hobby is that whatever makes you happy is cool. I certainly enjoy just sitting at home and playing for myself.

But let me just encourage others, even if doesn't apply to you, Chris, to share the music somehow. The cool thing about the internet is that you don't have to go spend every night in a bar to connect with people and share music.

Maybe it's just me, but "publishing" something makes it real to me. Music, especially, is meant to be heard. There's a certain "if a tree falls in the woods" aspect to music if no one but the performer ever hears it. I'm kind of a nut about creating things and having them take off and fly without me. I've written quite a few books, tons of articles, way too much software, recorded CDs, made videos. There's a moment where you share it, where you get to say "it's done", and it lives on without you, and it's almost like it has a life of its own, and I had nothing to do with it. I really enjoy that moment of letting the finished product fly away, and that's important to me. So, no, I wouldn't be happy just recording something no one ever hears. I certainly have stuff I've recorded that I've never released, but those are failures, stuff I'm not happy enough with to want to share - if I don't enjoy it, I can't imagine anyone else will. On the other hand, if I am happy with something, I sort of imagine there's someone out there, somewhere, who might also enjoy it, so I want to share it.

There's also a "helping others" aspect. With you specifically, Chris, you expend a lot of effort helping others pick gear, which is fantastic. It'd be even more educational if you demonstrated what all that nice gear helps you do. You clearly enjoy teaching people, and showing why the gear you advocate is better by demonstrating the results you can achieve with it would be enlightening to many people, I'm sure. I don't mean to badger you, but really, if you have anything to share, I'd share it. Playing live is fine, I enjoy it, but you can reach an entire world with your music without even lugging your gear into the gig!

In any case, there's a lot of nice recording setups described on this thread, I hope everyone will use them to post more music, whether it's here on AGF, on a CD, or You Tube, or whatever.