View Single Post
Old 12-11-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
Tak fan here. First I'll say I have no knowledge about the model you are talking about.

However you seem to be having two separate issues playability and tone/projection.

Unless the guitar has major manufacturing issues or has become warped twisted or has been worn out, there is no reason a proper set up cannot make this guitar easy to play.

I know you have mentioned you have the tools and knowledge to set up. That maybe true. I'm not trying to discredit or insult you but how many different guitars have you set up to know if you are getting it right? As pointed out very subtle changes can have a big impact.

I've heard no mention of fret wear? You mentioned you cleaned the finger board but no mention of fret dressing, crowning and action set up.

I agree with what's been mentioned here. A full professional set up would make your guitar play easy unless it needs a neck reset or there's other non brand specific guitar issues at play here.

Tone wise. It sounds like you do not like it. Some of that could be also set up related. Perhaps you are not getting clean sustaining notes because the frets are worn. Perhaps your saddle is not sitting down right or as mentioned previous strings are embedding into the sound board or braces need some clamp and glue work.

You said yourself you picked it over numerous other guitars at the time. Sure you didn't know about guitars but you've been listening to things since you were born so I'd say you heard something there that appealed to you.

Perhaps you're tastes have changed. But I have a feeling your guitar is not sounding like it used to and now needs some attention.

That's not to say you have not grown out of that guitar.

Don't get hung up on this other guitar.
Because that guitar seems to be an unknown perhaps vintage acoustic guitar that could well be a handmade guitar from a skilled luthier in Easter Europe. Just because the guitar may look like nothin special and comes from a pawn shop means nothing.

So for the final thought. Don't worry you cannot buy an American made guitar. Sure their are beautiful American guitars, but their are equally beautiful guitars made all over the world. Frankly when it comes to more budget friendly guitars you are likely to get a better sounding playing guitar from a non American company. Takamine being one. So check out the newer ones. I'd also be hot on the heels of a Yamaha and there are many others.

You do not need huge money to buy a guitar in order to make beautiful music.

After all you said I get the picture that with wages being low and guitars expensive I would seriously be looking at your own Tak again and seeing if it can be rectified. If for nothing else it will allow you to get maximum enjoyment out of it while you; save hunt or whatever else to get another guitar that fits your interest. Then if your Tak plays and sounds it's best you will be able to sell it easier then if it sounds and plays as bad as
You say it does now.

Cheers
You make good points.

The frets are really flat and low. They need to be crowned for sure and probably levelled but that's really a job for the pros. I'm sure that would improve playability, sustain and tone.
I also have an electric that needs a lot of work, a new nut and bridge etc. I used it to make my EP even if it's close to unplayable.
Currently saving up for these repairs.

I'll definitely look into Yamahas. A friend has one and it sounds great.