View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
So I did the experiment and the results were interesting. The main reason for me bothering with it was to see if the Schatten HFN would overdrive the anthem preamp In case I decide to convert the passive to active in the future.

The Schatten did not overdrive the preamp at all which I was happy about. Putting the anthem tone control full towards the neck (which is full Schatten in this case) it was a little muddier than when it was passive. That is most likely due to the way the anthem preamp is set up so I started playing around with the crossover and all the adjustments bla bla bla and ended up with about a 50% blend, tru-mic was mounted on the bottom of the guitar which took away some of the harshness from it. I must say I ended up with a really nice sound. The Schatten and tru-mic blend really well together. The output was hotter than normal of course but not much. Probably due to the low output that the anthem preamp is known for.

All in all if you have the passive version and wanted to convert to active I'm willing to bet any fishman, baggs or other preamp that you might have kicking around would work just fine.
Thanks for the experiment report.

With respect to "mixing and matching" the HFN with other preamps, I can report this about my own "mix and match" with the VTC Matrix Infinity preamp. I have to EQ a ton of bass out of my VTC Matrix Infinity preamp/OTSS UST matchup, when the preamp is at its most trebly setting. (Using my Zoom A3's extensive EQ capability, I'm cutting 4db at 40Hz, 8db at 80Hz and 5db at 160Hz.) I suspect that pairing the HFN with the Matrix Infinity preamp would give you an even bassier result than what you're getting with the Element preamp, That's certainly the case with the two "mix and match" pairings with my two OTSS USTs.

Running the Matrix Infinity/OTSS UST into ToneDexter, when TD is on bypass I need a 7.5db bass cut to get me close to an even tone. When I ran a passive OTSS UST into ToneDexter on bypass, the result was actually on the side of sounding too trebly. I presume that's because TD's 1Mohm input impedance isn't quite enough to get a full tone from the OTSS UST.