View Single Post
Old 06-10-2018, 03:48 PM

Default Focusrite Pres effect on acoustic sound? (LR Baggs Anthem)

So guys, I'm new to this recording stuff, especially within a DAW setup, and I've noticed the following when recording & playing:

Fantastic sound = Martin DM w/ LR Baggs Anthem -> Roland AC60 amp
Fantastic sound = Martin DM w/ LR Baggs Anthem -> Boss BR600
Mediocre/not so great sound = Martin DM w/ LR Baggs Anthem (with or without a Baggs Venue DI) -> Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 - > Cockos Reaper

It's kinda as if the sound falls apart when sending it to the DAW. It is less natural and far more synthetically electric.

Do you think the Boss/Roland products are doing something to the sound? The amp has a preamp, but idk/I don't think the br600's hi-z guitar input is anything special...

I'm more inclined to wonder, is the Focusrite preamp ruining the sound of the pickup somehow? If I got a larger Scarlett interface model and used the 1/4 inputs located on the back that supposedly don't have preamps, would I then get the same sound as using the Roland products? I don't want to unnecessarily waste money on a new interface if my thoughts on this potential problem are way off base. That's why I'm seeking advice from those if you with much more experience and wisdom than I. Thank you in advance for any input!