View Single Post
Old 05-13-2021, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
This is going to be great! I love my Beneteau and they sound great in your hands. I love that you're going with a super classic (and underrated!) wood combo.

Dustin, why the shorter scale? Do you intend to employ this guitar in a particular manner?
Hi buddy, I've switched to 25" after spending a year with my Urlacher which is a Cedar/Indian OM size. The biggest reasoning is I have a lot of songs I've composed that have 4-5 fret stretches with a barre and the shorter scale keeps the fret gaps slightly smaller and with less strings tension, they are easier to barre. I keep the action on my lowest strings a touch higher than on my 25.5" Larrivee so they don't flop much at all down to C. The neck is straight and the nut slots are just right to where there isn't that "choked" feeling at the first and second frets. That's the best way to explain the recent preference change. I still gig with my 25.5" Larrivee and its fine but I definitely prefer 25" now. Have also had talks with Will McNicol who says he has no issue playing in drop C tunings with his 24.75" scale Tom Sands Model S. There is some technique adjustment required, like not pressing so hard to where you pull the low strings sharp, and there is less forward projection than a fanfret or 25.5" scale, but it's playability benefits to me outweigh the projection benefits which aren't always necessary especially in a studio setting. With a soundport you will have all the driver's side volume you need Look forward to seeing your Taran completed, brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo Kid View Post
Congrats Dustin on this upcoming build. I will definitely be following this build with interest. I have always wanted to try out a Beneteau OM. A few years ago, I even talked to Marc about an OM build.
I am really looking forward to this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
I experienced a momentary lapse and forgot that, like the metric system, Americans are naive to the way the rest of the world writes the date.
I also slowly came to that conclusion after cocking my head sideways for a minute, EU does the same thing.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com