View Single Post
Old 10-01-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhw48 View Post
I don't know how Nick does it, but the playability of his guitars is truly amazing: my long scale Franklin was actually easier than my short scale Collings, and I had slightly lighter strings on the Collings.
Agreed. His BRW OM I played a year or two ago blew my mind. It was like butter in my hands...so easy with 12's. I'm actually pretty fond of my Collings. Had several people compliment me on it's tone...even John Renbourn wanted it. Funny side note: It was only about 6 months old at the time, and I gave John the specs for the guitar. He said "I don't want another guitar...I want THAT one!" He even jokingly said, "So how about a year's supply of malt whiskey for that guitar?" Lol.

But my point was that even though I love my Collings, it's always felt somewhat unforgiving intonation wise. It doesn't seem to allow for much inaccuracy when fretting. And cause I've had it for 22 years... I'm used to it. But when I play Nick's guitars... well...night and day in terms of ease of playability. Anyone else found Collings to be a little picky about intonation?