View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand View Post
I borrowed a small amp and tested the guitar. I plugged it straight to the amp without a DI box. Everything is ok. No weird loud noise except for a constant buzzing sound even when the cable is not plugged into the guitar. What I mean is that the buzzing sound is there when the guitar cable is plugged into the input jack of the amp but not the other end- to the guitar. It stops when I touch the other end of the cable (not the point, but on the middle of the metal).

I am sure everything is different when connecting to an audio snake, DI Box etc and the rest of the instruments. More feedback, different ground etc. But a music store can check my guitar anyway right? Just to check.

I’ve re-read though your posts and our responses and it is a bit of a confusing situation!

I am still wondering if the pickup element had got damaged somehow. Hearing a noise that disappears when you touch the outside of the plug suggests a grounding and/or interference issue. That there is a bit of noise when the cable is connected to the amp but not the guitar doesn’t really help, the system is designed to be all connected together and the noise you are hearing would probably disappear when connected to a (noise free) guitar. Touching the shaft of the plug is grounding the signal (I think) which is why it disappears.

What DI are you using when you get this problem?
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden