View Single Post
Old 08-02-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
It's an SBT - Sound board Transducer, like the K&K, etc, but a single bar that is attached to the bridge plate under the saddle line. Like all SBTs, it will pick up the body, including percussive sounds, if you want. I've been meaning to try one for a while, and another discussion here prompted me to finally try it. I don't think it's for me, but it's interesting. The SBT is passive and can be plugged in directly without the Rare Earth (tho it comes with a mini-plug, so you'd have to adapt to use it alone). I haven't tried it, but it seems you could also plug some other SBT, like a Dazzo or K&K into the Rare Earth as well, so there are some choices for experimenters.

Like all pickups, it kind of comes down to taste - you'd have something very similar with the classic Sunrise+Frap/Trance, or the DiMarzio Black Angel mag+SBT, or a K&K+MagMic (a setup I used to use), etc, it just comes down to whether you like the voicing of the specific elements. The Rare Earth has it's own sound, and the SBT sounds a bit different than something like the KK, seems to have less low end, which may appeal to some, and probably makes sense when paired with a Mag.
Doug, do you mind providing a bit more detail on how the Enhance sensor sounds? I know you mentioned less low end than a K&K but a lot of people cut low end from the K&K so are you talking about a thin sound or one that’s less bass heavy than the K&K? I have been wanting to try a UST / SBT for quite some time and the Powertap infinity checks a lot of boxes. I have just heard people say that the enhance is overly bright and thin. I don’t hear that in demos though. I tend to hear a thick mid range, which is what I would want out of it. Thanks!