View Single Post
Old 06-28-2022, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I haven't. I've seen some chatter praising the Twin as a good voice over option but I've yet to hear any praise for it as a great mic for what we do (except from people who are trying to sell them). I'm probably unlike many people in this regard but that modern/vintage switch has no appeal for me. A friend of mine who lives nearby owns an 87ai. I've sang through it a few times and I'm just not a fan of it on my voice. The darker vintage would suit me better and would probably be preferable on acoustic as well.

There are only two mics that I'm really interested enough to possibly purchase... the Serrano 87 and the Beesneez BU67 that I just made a thread about. I'm holding off on both for different reasons. Serrano developed a Neumann KM84 for which he offered an early buy in for a really good price. I jumped on that and the mics were originally supposed to arrive in January but that's been delayed twice since then because the bodies are being manufactured in Shanghai which is still not back to normal after being in full lock down earlier this year. I want to resolve that sale before I order the 87.

On the BU67 front, a guy from another board who does product reviews has a BU67 on the way and he'll post a review at some point. I want to see that before I decide one way or the other on that mic. When the review comes out, I'll post it in the BU67 thread I made.
Like anyone else...I am always looking for that magical component that will take me to some new level. That extra something that transforms me into something more.

What I often forget; sometimes there is no more suitable level than the one we already stand on. That the level we stand on is not only working the best, but it is also the safest level to be standing on.

When I really think about it...the mics function is not to make better of us...but let the music be represented in its best way. Of course, that differs for each of us and our music.

More and more I am realizing why a mic might sound good on one voice and not another. It all has to do with our vocal characteristic and style. And one given microphone might let that particular character shine through better than another.

A mic is not much different than a guitar. Eventually we find an instrument that we are the most comfortable on. While we might enjoy many flavors of guitars, there is always one that we like the best and keep returning to.

Found this article just now, by Justin Hayward.

" I often find myself at sessions with new engineers that I don't know and don't know me. They want to discover a new and different way of recording my voice and often want me to try their favourite new mic. I go along with it (you never know - maybe one time it will be great!), but at the end of each experiment I eventually suggest a good old Neumann u87 and viola! Yes! it's the one that works perfectly. I knew it would. "

http://justinhaywardrecordings.com/j...rd-on-singing/

Maybe the sound we are looking for is the one that we are most familiar with. The sound of a guitar like we have always imagined....or a microphone that makes us sound like we imagine. Or like we think we sound? Or the microphone that we grew up listening to so it becomes what we judge all others by? Not sure we will ever know the entire answer to that question. In the meantime...Until proven wrong we go with our gut feelings.