View Single Post
Old 06-27-2022, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Opinions on TF-11

II would be nice to add one more double duty Vocal & Acoustic guitar microphone to my locker.

Always nice to add something a little different to the mix so that the audience might feel a sonic difference, song to song. I think it was Lennon who always wanted to try new microphones to make his voice sound different from tune to tune.

And besides that it is always nice to have options. Always nice to experiment. While I am very happy with my Stereo Schoeps for Guitar...I still wish to experiment with a third center channel. I also have the Lauten Atlantis which is U47 ish and a pair of AT 4050's.

Alas, I am at the end of my funds. No more high end mics for me. However as we discussed it seems like some of the manufacturers are actually building some high quality microphones at affordable prices.

Jim1960's comparison post on U87 clones proved that it is possible. And one of the secrets is that some of this companies are using higher quality transformers in their build. While many think the U87 to be too mid range forward..too unexciting...I found it always dependable in providing a pleasant recording. Actually worked well for guitars. the U87 tubular brother..the U67 has been used on many acoustic guitar recordings.

Another mic that has always intrigued me is one that contains the C 12 Style capsule. I believe KevWind uses a 251 style mic with C 12 style capsule...and his vocal recordings sound very smooth.

So I would like to get your opinions on Last years introduction of Telefunken TF-11. From this video it sounds pretty clear, fast & smooth on vocals. On the Acoustic Guitar it Sounds a bit bright with not much low end. But the gentleman is playing a thinner bodied Martin which I believe is a bit brighter. And even if it is a bit bright it seems to catch the overtones of the guitar rather well. From the video looks like the build quality is rather good...using film capacitors and High nickle transformer.

This one has a slightly strange URL..and I could not seem to post the video any other way than through a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1kBLJo2v0A&t=2s