View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 05:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwhite View Post
Been playing drop D on my Taylor 324 for a while and digging it. Got into open D and open G with the slide on it a little and liking it. Then I tuned it to DADGAD. Oh my. I'm headed down the rabbit hole now. Somebody help me...

Must learn tunes suggestions and playing tips welcomed as I explore this new to me world.
Hi arw…

Two names. Doug Young (from this forum) has written a book on DADGAD, and Al Petteway is THE MAN when it comes to DADGAD (and YouTube is your friend).

To help students ease into DADGAD, I taught them to play in Dropped D for a few lessons, then double Dropped D for a couple weeks. The last step was to lower the B to A and they were there, and it helped de-mystify the changes to fingerings and kept them from asking 'where did my notes move to' ?

Remember DADGAD lends itself more to a linear style music than a strumming tool. You can print out charts of DADGAD chords, but the DADGAD players I love lean toward more melody-centric Irishy style play.

And it also makes it easy to throw down great deep sounding, under-girding three and four string sustaining drone-tone to solo over using the top strings.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…