View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Thanks for the kind words, Doug Young pointed out that the mid-side effect will also work without stereo speakers. I have not tried a Grace yet but I really like this preamp a lot due to its unique features and the optional mic sounds really good for the price!! If you want to go analog then this is definitely worth considering.
Not quite Aaron. To hear stereo, you need a stereo system. (the MS-2 can be used as a mono blender, tho, as you demonstrated.) However, the concern (in part, at least) for running stereo sound is usually that one side of the room will be missing the other half of the sound. Think of some of the approaches to stereo that I've seen done:

* two different pickups, panned, say mag+SBT. The problem there is that people on the left side of a room hear the mag only, and the people on the right hear the SBT only.

* some kind of stereo chorus - or extreme case, think of the stereo tremelo effect on a Fender Rhodes piano. In an extreme case, people on one side of a room might only hear every other note...

These approaches are (partly) why most live sound isn't done in stereo. You wouldn't want to go to a concert and not hear the horn section because you're sitting on one side of the audience, or not hear the singers because you're on the other.

With the MS approach to acoustic guitar, the extreme cases, say someone with their head inside the PA speaker on one side, won't hear stereo, but what they will hear is the two sources blended - in the case of your demo, K&K+mic. So they hear exactly what you demo'd earlier as a mono dual source system. The cool thing is that someone on the other side of the room with their head in the other PA speaker hears the same thing! K&K+mic. The mic is flipped in phase compared to what the other person across the room hears, but that doesn't matter. An internal mic is so uncorrelated with the other pickup, that phase is rather meaningless as far as how the SBT+mic sounds.

People at various points in the room will hear different degrees of "stereo", just as when you have multiple people listening to the stereo in your home or car - not everyone gets to sit in the sweet spot, but it still sounds right.

For me, stereo opens up the sound, even when it's not obvious. For example, Michael Manring uses a stereo bass setup with 2 amps. He sets the amps up maybe 6 feet apart, and he's parked in the middle. He hears a dramatic stereo effect - great for him! Out in the room, no one feels like there's a different sound coming into each ear, but you do hear a really open spacious bass tone that sounds great.

Last edited by Doug Young; 10-16-2020 at 01:17 PM.