View Single Post
Old 09-16-2015, 08:05 PM

Default cpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar View Post
Howdy. Haven't posted much here but I've recently bought a Yamaha CPX15E for a pretty ridiculous price. I've read a bit about these guitars, but there's not much out there and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them. I know they were a pretty high-end guitar for Yamaha and the workmanship was supposed to be of good quality. As you can tell, I'm waiting for the guitar to arrive, but I figure for the $375 I paid it's probably worth it. My only other acoustic is a 1965 Gibson Hummingbird. Have had it for the past 40 years. Would appreciate any comments, etc on the Yamaha. Thanks!
That was a steal.

I have one....love it. The intonation is better then 5k martins and Taylors I played when I was looking to buy. Perfect. The sound is not as bright like the taylors. (you can brighten it up with elixar nano 80/20's.) Not as many overtones. I like that. It is very balanced, bass to treble strings. I think it's closer to a Martins sound. That little japanese guy who built it put the neck on perfect. I had it looked at by a very good luthiar the day I bought it. He raved about it. Said it was built perfect. The quilted mahogony is stunning.

If you ever have it refretted....find someone really good. You cannot put the frets in tight. (they need to be glued too) You'll lose all the adjustment on the truss rod. I got that straight from the factory. I told the guy who refretted mine and he ignore me. It only plays with mediums 13-56 now. The neck is "just" flat with med's. I'm still trying to figure out the neck radius. I think it's about 16". I won't talk to the guy who refretted the guitar to ask him. I'd like to bang his head against a wall. (I have to get it refretted again...he'll never touch it). I need a picture of the original frets if you have one. A close up. The guy who refretted mine changed the frets.