View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.D.Smith View Post
I made another recording, the same microphone, the same computer doing the recording, the same guitar two months after she was new.
Just like the first recording, the strings and gauges are the same, they're even new just like the first recording.
Comparing the two recordings, with the same speakers on the same computer with no changes in the EQ's (because both times the recording EQ was set to "Flat"), I can hear a difference.
When she was new, she was gentle, not really loud.
When compared to todays recording, she's louder and has more mids and over tones.

Now Jeff and Bob would like to split hairs, ok fine. Today there's a little more earwax in my ears, maybe I should clean em out and everthing will sound different. Today I'm 2 months older, perhaps my hearing has suffered a bit.
The humidity in my guitar was at 47% two months ago, now its at 48%.
Perhaps my finger tips are worn or they got tougher.
I suppose if you add all things up, perhaps the sounds I'm hearing are because of this, but I doubt it. I've been playing for a long, long time and it matters not to me that "it's my guitar and I'll hear what I want to hear."
I'm as curious as the next guy and I like to know for sure that these experiments or comparisons have any meat to them. I like the way Mythbusters do their experiments, they try and control everything while adding variables to see whats going on. I'm doing my best to control everything and using time as a variable to really see if these tops open up.

Jeff and Bob, do you have any recordings you would like to share?
I do.

PM me if you would like to hear them for yourselves and then you decide.

I'll do another recording in another 4 months and then 6 months after that.
I want to know what a year of playing will do to my new addi topped guitar as I'm sure others would to.
What do you do to prevent yourself from becoming more familiar with the feel and demands of the particular guitar over a period of 2,4, or 6 months?