View Single Post
Old 01-26-2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spivey View Post
I have multiple recordings by every artist mentioned in this thread. A huge chunk of the Blue Note catalog from 1955-1970, mostly on cd, around 40 on vinyl. Plenty of newer and older jazz, as well.

As a kid in the '60s, I knew 3 adults who were hardcore jazz aficionados. They would loan me records because they knew I had a good turntable and took care of the records. Our public library had a nice jazz collection, mostly in excellent condition.

Jazz has provided me with a lifetime of enjoyment, it's what I listen to more than any other genre.

Sonny Clark's Cool Struttin'was on the turntable this afternoon. Played it through twice.
Nice to hear from you - anytime you’d like to add to this beginners introduction to some classic recordings, please feel free.

We’ve mentioned Sonny Rollins previously here, and I’d like to recommend his 1957 recording
“Newk’s Time” on Blue Note (stereo) 84001

Blue Note has been reissuing selections on vinyl from its massive catalogue over the last few years - well worth checking out.

Although spec wise, digital recordings and digital remasters of original analogue material looks good on paper, at the end of the signal chain, with final playback on vinyl, transparency will disappear in favour of *depth* most noticeable in the lower midrange and bass.