View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 08:44 AM

Hi! The guitar is coming along nicely. With the top and back finished, and sides bent I decided to start with the neck.
Wondered if you could shed some light on this... please!!

I feel like I'm cheating a little, for I ordered a precarved neck and slotted fingerboard from lmii to make things easier.

The neck specs are:

14 frets to body
24.9" scale length
Width at the nut - 1.875"
Width at 14th fret - 2.3"

Started shaping the headstock with success.
However, I would like to mod my neck to 1 11/16 inch nut width, 2 1/8 inch witdh at 12th fret... Is this feasible? What would be the preferred way to do th¡s? I would probably have to buy some tools for this, and want to make sure I get the right ones.

There are some holes drilled on the fingerboard side of the neck. What is the purpose of these holes? They look too big to be used with some pins drilled through the fret slots while gluing the fingerboard in place.

On the other hand, this is the fingerboard I ordered:

Scale Length: 24.9" scale length
Number of Fret Slots: 20 fret slots
Radius: 16" radius

From Lmii : "The boards are slotted with a nut slot offset to correct for fret saw blade kerf for compensation purposes so that the bridge edge of the slot is at true zero. "

I can't understand what they actually mean... Are they referring to the extra piece of fingerboard before the first slot? Should I remove this? I read a little about true-zero nut slots, but I'm not sure I understand how things work here.