View Single Post
Old 10-26-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
It’s a reality only in the USA. Go to Japan, where tipping is considered rude, and you’ll still get top notch service, and reasonable prices. Getting away with paying employees 25% of the federal minimum wage just because they’re hired as “tipped employees” is absolutely criminal in my book. People are waking up, there’s some employers (USA) that have brought it upon themselves to pay their staff a livable wage and banned tipping in their restaurants. That’s how it should be.
And there have been restaurants where that had been tried, and the restaurant ended up belly-up because it couldn't be sustained. Or the establishment finds that kiosks are a cheaper alternative. I prefer to give my order to a human being, and I believe that those who give good service should be rewarded - it provides an incentive.

Basically it comes down to the particular market. In a posh restaurant, salary based waiters may work out. At a mom-and-pop diner, maybe not. Paying the help a living salary does not necessarily guarantee they will give good service; it sometimes breeds complacency as their pay is guaranteed regardless of service provided.