View Single Post
Old 10-26-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Having waited tables for a few years when I was younger, and my wife having done so as well, we tend to be really good tippers. If the service is poor we can usually tell whether it's the waiter's fault or the kitchen'x. If it's the kitchen's fault and the waiter or waitress is still friendly and reasonably attentive, we still tend to tip well. If the waiter or waitress is just doing a lousy job or if they're really rude, then I'll tip very little. It would have to be really bad for me to stiff someone, but it's happened once or twice over the years, usually leaving before being served, and not having a bill to pay to begin with. It takes a LOT for us to do that, but it has happened.

I think there would be better ways to pay wait-staff but the reality is the reality. Almost all waiters are paid the bare minimum and rely on tips and so we tip well...

-Ray

It’s a reality only in the USA. Go to Japan, where tipping is considered rude, and you’ll still get top notch service, and reasonable prices. Getting away with paying employees 25% of the federal minimum wage just because they’re hired as “tipped employees” is absolutely criminal in my book. People are waking up, there’s some employers (USA) that have brought it upon themselves to pay their staff a livable wage and banned tipping in their restaurants. That’s how it should be.