View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithon View Post
My understanding is it has to do with the harvesting process. Apparently it is a centuried technique. The idea is one harvests the log during a certain phase (or phases?) of the moon when resins/sap content are at their lowest. I imagine this has to do with the moon's gravitational pull. To further minimize the resin/sap content, traditional moon spruce is harvested in winter when a tree's growing period is dormant.

Is this marketing? Yes, but it is also a (the?) traditional European method of logging, pre-dating the modern expansion of the industry. Studies have shown the moon is a statistically significant variable in moisture loss, shrinkage, and relative weight.

What does this mean for acoustic guitars? Well, luthiers let wood season before building with it because seasoned wood is more stable. And the seasoning process involves the evaporation of resins/sap. So moon spruce is wood that, in theory, should act as if it has been seasoned for longer than it really has.

This is very close to what I remember reading on another thread here on Moon Spruce. I remember there was a video attachment also.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)