View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

I'll weigh in. I joined his Tony's Acoustic Challenge in March. I didn't get it at first but I have made more progress in these months and, aside from a brief hiatus to deal with a death in the family, I've been picking up my guitar daily.

His approach is really what I was looking for: daily practice a minimum of 10 minutes (more if you want), a focused daily skill to get you going - Mondays are warm ups, Tuesdays are licks, Weds are a backing track and suggestions on how to jam along, Thursday rhythm practice sequence, and Friday chord progressions. And he ties them all together so they make sense for the week.

Also, he mixes it up with other things like we all learned Beaumont Rag and then everyone posted a video playing it 80bpm or best as we could, and then he did a mashup of all of us and showed us at the last online live guitar party (monthly - if you log in every day the month prior, he throws a dart and if it lands on your name you win a guitar!).

The best part is the community, both in the online forum and the local TAC jam clubs that are part of it. I just went to a jam yesterday with some great people I have met through TAC.

In a week or so, he will replace the daily lessons for a one week blues challenge.

This approach has really helped me progress, go outside my comfort zone with supportive people, post myself playing, and has helped me set some goals for this year like learning to solo better and play with others more.

His approach is about having fun and not pressuring yourself to master the guitar. It's been pretty amazing how much my skills have improved just doing daily lessons.