View Single Post
Old 01-16-2022, 04:08 PM
Custom Guitars

Default OM build with my father.

I’ve been building guitars since 2001, part time mostly, and my father has been woodworking since before I was born and building guitars since about 2004 and we share a shop as neighbors; but we have never made a guitar together. He builds a very modern looking guitar, with some modern bracing touches, and I build a more traditional looking and braced guitar typically.

I asked him to make one with me, one I can never sell, a guitar for me; my lifetime guitar (for 46 I guess. Ha. I’m sure I’ll make a few more “lifetime” guitars for myself but I doubt I’ll ever make another with my dad).

So we agreed to build one together, in the shop together, and this is where we are at currently. We chose old wood we had been saving for more than 15 years. Brazilian we bought together at our first Healdsburg show in the early 2000’s. Red spruce I’d been saving for at least that long. We have been working on an OM shape, short scale guitar. We need to final fit the neck and tape off the bridge and fingerboard location and we are ready for finish as of today. I’ll need the weather to warm up a bit for me to spray so I’m not sure when that will be. (Snowing today, even here in the Southeast)

I’m pretty excited about this guitar, the wood is something and the build with my dad has been great. Here it is. Just wanted to show it off and my wife is tired of pretending to care!

Thanks for looking and thanks for such a cool forum to be a part of. I have enjoyed reading the AGF for a while and am a newish proud sponsor.

IMG_0815.jpgIMG_0816.jpgIMG_0824.jpgIMG_0826.jpgIMG_0823.jpgIMG_0825.jpgIMG_0828.jpg