View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 02:15 PM

I appreciate everyone's responses! This has been a fun project and I under-estimated what it would take to laminate the sides to shape and have them fit correctly. Also how tricky it would be to get the wood to conform to that curve. using highly figured wood probably didn't help-

The geometry is tricky, and not just the curve- Lots of planes have to come together correctly for it to work right. Much less wiggle room than a standard style guitar. I feel good about it but also don't have the blocks glued in yet :0.........

It gives me a new respect (not that it was lacking....) for the construction of the one this guitar is based on- Solid and 2 piece sides? Yeesh!

I currently have the second side glued up and curing and (fingers crossed) will have the sides glued up to the neck and end block this weekend.

Rodger- The CF is there to reinforce the mortise. By the heelcap it gets really thin and I was worried that it could easily crack if it took an impact. Also, I realized later, I could probably do some damage just in clamping things! The CF keeps it from caving in and deforming and saves me some worry. All good things!