View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
If you record with two mikes (dual mono or stereo) and pan to center you will have mono with the disadvantages of two mikes (phase issues) without the advantages of two mikes (a stereo field - usually a fuller bodied sound and wider sound stage). You can pan a little towards center to narrow the image a bit if that is what you want, but generally that would apply to spaced pair recording rather than recording with closer together mikes (XY, ORTF) where the image is already more tightly focused.

Software is available that can handle right and left track stereo tracks separately or simply split the tracks apart. I find it easier edit a stereo track than two mono tracks. However whatever suits one's work flow usually makes the most sense.
Once again as I previously mentioned I centered the tracks to check for those very possible phase issues. I didn't hear anything wrong. I did some panning with the Quick mixes I just put up on another thread. and I think it all comes down to how things are going to fit in a full mix. I could give a hoot about a True Stereo Acoustic gtr. mix unless it is a sparse mix and I want a Stereo effect. I am just trying this for the first time. I do already know the info you and Doug are sharing but I think some are missing the point of this. i don't have a phase/invert button on my UR44 audio interface but have plug ins as you mentioned. I know about the 3-1 rule. I just want to see how much trouble I can get into because I have just started and will include LDC/SDC combo and M/S etc. experiments Any thing I do that ends up a real song and has Bass, drums,other guitar tracks perhaps Piano and surely Vocals I hope to make the Acoustic sound good and fit it properly. But thanks for the comments and your effort to share.