View Single Post
Old 08-31-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I've never watched "Enterprise" believe it or not.

I hated Deep Space 9 for some reason. I think the Ferengi ruined it for me, I couldn't stand them. Then again it took me a while before I warmed up to Next Gen. I found the first officer guilty of overacting somewhat, but he got better over time.

Guilty of being spoiled by the original.
The original had the benefit of being revived by fandom, not this current tug of war between studios. I think CBS really shot themselves in the foot by putting the kabosh on the fan fiction/production efforts in court.

DS9 is usually touted as the best of all the series. Wasn't the first officer a woman, though? It didn't seem to jump the shark as completely as Enterprise did.

The last season of "Enterprise" was pretty much the death knell of the franchise, IMO. They completely rushed things and dropped the ball with regards to writing. I have to admit that I was already fatigued by Voyager though so I may have been ready to move on. Paramount seemed to fumble the football at that point.

TNG seemed to end on a high note and I'm hoping that they don't screw over Patrick Stewart like Disney screwed over Mark Hamill. I'm hoping that Stewart has a big say in Picard's development. I'd hate to see him reintroduced as some sort of hermit drinking blue milk from space walruses.

It appears that with the reintroduction of his character they will be abandoning these lazy writing devices of "reboots" and "time travel" and are actually looking forward. I grant you that Star Trek has never been high art, but they got very complacent over the past 30 years and relied on time travel and alternate realities as poor excuses to actually progress plots that they themselves were rehashed. "Into Darkness" anyone? Sloppy.

As for CBS, I understand that they are ironically being sued for plagiarism. I doubt it will go very far though. It's a weak argument and all the All Access money will surely be more than enough to cover the legal fees and payoffs.