View Single Post
Old 05-17-2021, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFretWear View Post
Such a heavily braced guitar would have me running to get my deposit back, but I've never heard of Ralph Brown, so maybe his tops and backs are super thin? Do you know the measurements?
Also, re: Collings's neck system, I don't think you'd find any reputable builder or dealer who would say anything other than that every decision Bill made in the building process was aimed towards perfection.
Several posts have noted the apparently heavy bracing. I have to admit that 5 seconds after seeing the pictures, that’s what I thought. Now there’s absolutely no way I’d be running to get my deposit back, because I have heard of Ralph Bown. I’m certain that he is way beyond Bill Collings factory guitars (no offense, Collings are probably the top of the small company builds). I’m a big fan of Clive Carrol. I’ve played a Bown OM and it was mind-blowingly great, a world class luthier. I didn’t buy it then but called a few days later and it was sold. Another appeared at Guitar Gal a few years back and I watched it for a long time as it was priced a bit high and finally decided to commit and yes, it sold that morning to another AGFer. I wish more Bown guitars would come on this side of the Atlantic. I was surprised to see the Spanish neck as well, clearly, Mr Bown has a unique way of building, but has mastered his craft. Congratulations on getting a world class 00. I’m jealous and your lucky! Good for you. Play it in good health.