View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

I gotta give this guitar some props (along with my Brondel OM-42 in another thread). It's been fantastic since I got it in 2016, but it's really bloomed over the last few years. Visiting Schoenberg a couple times a year allow me to play those old Martins to hear the sound that inspired these guitars.

This particular Circa OM deviates a bit from what I've triangulated is the "classic" pre-war OM sound. I had a chance earlier this year to play two 1930 OMs side by side, one of which had something of a cavernous bass and the other of which was more like my Circa. While it has ample bass, it's more mids focused, projecting, and powerful, where the vintage OMs are a bit looser and have more emphasis on the bass.

The Circa is extraordinarily well balanced, has a ton of headroom, and an absolutely beautiful voice. Mids and trebles are super sweet, and bass is just right. It's a cutting, powerful sound and brilliantly executed. I believe John is using a taller X brace to put a little more emphasis on the mid range and give the guitar a power boost. It works very well and without depriving the guitar of exceptional responsiveness and sweetness. It'll be interesting to see how it continues to develop over the years.