View Single Post
Old 08-05-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
A custom guitar is a very different beast from a brand name when it comes to resale. Part of the problem is name recognition. Everyone knows Martin, Taylor and Gibson. How many even know Bourgeois or Lowden or Froggy Bottom, names common on this forum? Even with those great reputations, the market is limited to those in-the-know. Everybody wants you to think that whatever they're selling is custom or special. So unless the name is known by the potential buyer it's a near impossible sale. There isn't enough marketing depth so the buyer pool is limited.

But then if you're in the right marketing pool perhaps a custom build might keep pretty good value. But the bottom line is what someone is willing and able to pay.
To your point, I spoke with a local music store owner who 1). attends NAMM and 2). sells lots of guitars from brands like Eastman. I told him he should become Utah's first Lowden dealer and he said, "Who?" I was shocked, but I guess I learned that even owners just know what they sell.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.