Thread: LS Redwood
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 07:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankMauel View Post
The "lightning strike" is hype. All the trees Craig and Alicia "harvested" were blow downs from various N.California storms in the last century. Some trees were estimated to have been down more than 20 years at the time they were cut into billets and hauled out by manpower. No machines aided in the rescue of this wood from the forest, just Craig, Alicia and friends strong backs! The nice thing about the trees is they fell across ravines, depressions, etc that kept much of the trunk off the ground so natural drying/curing was not compromised by wet earth contact or forest fungi.
It's a great legacy to have saved that wood for instrument builders and all who build with it owe a debt of gratitude to the Carters.
Amen Hank! The Carter Estate Redwood are some of THEE finest tops that I have ever build one! I have harvest a good amount of local hardwood so I have an idea of the amount of work that went into it. Although my 3' -4' diameter logs pale in comparrison to the 5' logs the Carter's man (and woman) handled.

Hank, was it you that told me that Craig would carry a baseball bat with him into the woods and thumped on logs as he selected them?