View Single Post
Old 11-24-2021, 12:01 AM

Hi Barry,

I never considered using light gauge strings as less desirable. Also, I never thought it meant less sustain, however it did mean it was harder on my fingers. After I bought my D-41, I switched out the strings to lights, thought it sounded and played much better. So no, I can’t think of any reason why switching to lights would be a negative. Besides, you have multiple guitars, right? How about mixing it up a bit and have a guitar or two strung with lights.

BTW, I have had discomfort in the past with finger joints and shoulder, but was able to overcome the problems through stretching and making adjustments to how I play. I was worried that the longer scale length and increased string tension of my new Ryan Nightingale would be a problem, but there doesn’t appear to be any problem so far, and I play for hours each day. One thing I learned was to apply only the necessary force to depress the strings, no more than that. Also, apply force which is most direct against the fretboard, not at an angle which may place stress on the the joints. Not sure if any of this is of value in your situation.

Best regards!

Rick