View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017, 10:35 AM

Christmas of 2000 - I was 18 at the time and my parents decided to get me a nice guitar as a present. I had been playing a lot on a crappy Epiphone acoustic that I had had for a couple years, and had been wanting a nice acoustic/electric to play out with. My buddy who I played with quite frequently had just gotten a new 614ce shortly before and I had fallen in love with it. It played and sounded wonderful, and was my introduction to Taylor guitars. I had never heard of them before playing his, and that introduction was all I needed to know that I had to have one eventually.

My folks took me to a local shop and I played several different models, mostly Taylors but some Gibsons and Martins too. Eventually I picked up a 414ce that just blew me away. The sound and playability was fantastic. I loved the GA body shape compared to the Dread I had been playing, as it was just more comfortable to me. Tonally, it seemed to fit my playing style really well also. Also, the price of the 414 was a little more attainable than the 6-series I was originally lusting after, which I'm sure my parents appreciated. After playing this one though, I didn't even pick up the 614 again. This was the one.

Since then I have bought and sold probably 35-40 guitars. I currently still have my 414ce. It is one of the "keepers" that you know you can't part with. It has major fret wear, the body has a bunch of "signs of use" from playing out and travelling with it. I have a lot of memories with that guitar, and it still is the standard that I compare all my other guitars to. It is the one that I hope to pass on to my son some day when he's old enough (he's only 2 now, but already likes it).

My new-to-me 2010 814ce is probably another keeper (time will tell), as it is another one that just inspires me to play more... but my 414ce will always be my first.