View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Update

OK got some free time this afternoon So I installed the IOCrest and the EVO 970's
First I have the say the "QUOTE" User Manual for the Crest is a total joke Gives absolutely nothing about how to install the drives on it.

So it took several mounting attempts to figure out the how to position the little spacer nuts that come with the Crest so as to get the EVO blades riding parallel to card surface slightly off the card surface. The spacer nuts (2 of them) are larger diameter one side and smaller diameter on the other side (the smaller side that slots down flush into hole in the card) and threaded on both sides so you have to use one screw to secure the spacer nut to the card and one screw to secure the blade to the spacer nut .....NONE of which is stated in the silly manual which is simply a spec. list. On my first attempt I did not use the spacer nuts at all, and the card sat at a slight downward angle from the connection slotted blade side to the other end with the 1/2 circle screw side (WHICH did not look correct to me) So I had to play with using positioning the spacer screws to finally get EVO parallel to the Crest surface and slightly elevated off the surface at both ends ....

Once all that was done I installed the Crest into my Mac into the #2 slot from the bottom (16 lane) and moved my PTHD card to slot 3 and my SM951 boot drive to slot 4 (top)

I plugged all connectors back into the Mac and fired it up ( this first boot took about 40 seconds )
I have now started from power on to desktop, 3 times and it is still about 40 seconds (which is 10 seconds slower then before installing the Crest.

The New drives were not showing on the desktop but were showing in Disk Utilities so I erased and formatted them APFS and bang there they were . I transferred a couple PT sessions to one EVO tested and it worked fine.

So first thing I did was transfer my PT session file folder from my HDD to one EVO it was a 70 GB file and transferred fine. I have tested about 6 PT sessions so far so good

Now I am in process of transferring my FCPX library folder which is a 189 GB and it is going fine so far

I will report back when I have done some more PT and FX mixing and recording and editing But pretty good so far

Next step will be to upgrade to Mojave ( just about in time for "Catalina " to come out )

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4