View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I see no reason not to try the superglue fix and if the crack reappears consider a new bridge.
Even in those cases, a second try at the same repair is not unreasonable, as long as the progression is not extreme. CA is unlike conventional wood glue, in that it will still adhere when the crack is already contaminated with CA in the past. I have done that a few times, and to my knowledge, it has never recurred.
Quote:
I have no idea how much that will matter if the bridge comes to need replacing.
As a veteran repairman (35 year's worth) who has done hundreds of these (in addition to all levels of top reconstruction under the bridge), I have seen no evidence of seeping CA around the pin holes creating issues with the spruce down the road. The most critical area for gluing a bridge is along the bottom edge, since that is where most bridges come loose. Saturation of the spruce around the pin holes does not seem to be an issue.
Quote:
But superglue it not good structurally in filling a large gap.
When the crack between pins is wide enough, I will add a sliver of matching wood (ebony or rosewood, usually) to fill in the gap. I also insert a tapered punch in the pin holes and 'lever' it (in the direction of string pull) to open the crack while applying the CA. This assures good penetration.
I am often asked why this crack is so common. Ebony is a brittle wood, and drilling 6 holes in a line and applying 180 +/- pounds of force is a textbook way to separate it into two pieces.