View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 08:55 AM

Smile

My initial reasons for learning the uke was simply to learn a different instrument. It was a fast and easy transition from acoustic guitar. Chord shapes are similar to guitar chords.

Another reason was to learn a different genre of music, which was Hawaiian music. I then found out that it was much easier to play jazz chords because there are only 4 strings on the instrument. Therefore I can now play and sing my favorite jazz tunes, which I found difficult on a guitar.

And of course, as in the acoustic guitar world, there are luthier-built instruments. Relatively speaking, high end ukes are much less expensive than high end luthier-built guitars. So instead of experiencing GAS, you will experience UAS. It's been a fun journey exploring who the uke luthiers are. I now own 2 custom made ukes and a Blackbird ekoa uke.

Have fun on your journey to the world of ukuleles! Get familiar with the words such as "aloha", "mahalo", and you must not mispronounce ukulele. You have to pronounce it like "oo-koo-lay-lee", otherwise you'll quickly be corrected by the hard core players out there.