View Single Post
Old 10-18-2020, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Mike, I’m sorry if I offended you by the tone of my posts; I had never heard of her before today.

Short version: yes, I was unaware of her prior to today, but it wasn’t out of maliciousness or condescension that I wrote about her. You folks in the Lower 48 sometimes don’t realize the distance and geographical isolation that we have to endure here on the Alaskan subcontinent, but the exposure that non-mainstream musical artists get up here is woefully inadequate. It costs more to fly to Alaska from the Lower 48 than it does to fly to Europe, and the nearest major city to us is Seattle.

Not many acoustic acts make it up here unless their airfare gets covered, and with the Alaskan economy in freefall there are fewer and fewer of those gigs.

Seattle’s a 3 hour flight away. By direct contrast, the flight I took from Anchorage to Magadan, Russian Far East when I played a music tour there in Magadan Oblast was a mere hour and a half.

So, yes, we’re considerably closer to Siberia than we are to Seattle.

We’re a world away from you, in more ways than one.

Hope that makes more sense.

Wade Hampton Miller

PS: If you think I’m being pretentious by calling Alaska a subcontinent, look at Alaska on a globe some time, rather than one of those flat little maps where they stick Alaska in a reduced size down in the lower left hand corner. You’ll see that I’m not exaggerating in the slightest about the distances involved.

Price air fare prices too, while you’re at it. You’ll find that if anything I under-emphasized the distances involved.
Don't worry Wade you did not say "just" which was "just" imagination, and given both of my kids are older than she, I would indeed call her "young" also .and she is on Youtube so you're good
I'm in Wyoming and had not heard or her until your post .

Boy I know what you mean about the size of Alaska I've been there 2 times, once Fly Fishing on Kodiak and then flew to Anchorage to overnight then to Petropavlovsk Kamchatka .
People here stateside usually don't get the distances involved.

Here is an interesting map overlay for some perspective .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-18-2020 at 03:51 PM.