View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 04:11 PM

Well, I do want to know my world guitar player rank, precisely. Unfortunately, the best I can do is estimate. The first thing is to figure out how many guitar players there are in the world. Here's a link to some highly scientific research on that very subject:

https://www.quora.com/How-many-peopl...ld-play-guitar

Although there is some variation in the data, I'm going to go with the average of the high and low estimates and say that there are 434,921,875 guitar players in the world. Now as far as skill level, let's say that they are distributed like the top half of the normal curve. That would mean that there are a lot of barely adequate beginners and only a few exceptional players out there.

I would say that I'm at least 1 standard deviation above an absolute beginner, but probably not two standard deviations. So. Since for half of the curve, one standard deviation would be 68.2% (and two would get me all the way to 95.4%). So, just to be conservative, I'd say that I am currently better than 68.2% of all guitar players, which would make me at least the 138,305,156th best guitar player in the world.

I can use that when introducing myself to an audience: "Hello folks, you're in for a real treat tonight. You will surely be hugely entertained by roughly the 138 millionth best guitar player in the whole world! And some say he's actually the 137 millionth best guitarist in the world!

(unfortunately for the audience, what they don't yet know is that I'm only the 4 billionth best singer in the world, so the experience might not be quite as good as they were hoping)