View Single Post
Old 03-30-2020, 05:49 AM

Great film, bought it on DVD ages ago. Tommy E's quote in my sig is from that film. Music is of course as much about rhythm as it is melody, and these guys have that in spades.

I 'd say the film is not just about the rise of modern fingerstyle but just as much about the sense of community that has grown with it. Players supporting one another joined by an interest to push the boundaries of the acoustic guitar, the challenge of arranging modern rock/pop music to encompass as much musical content of the original as possible. Amateurs learning their favourite players' tunes/arrangements and uploading them to Youtube then getting a fanbase of their their own...composing their own music, then the talented ones might get signed or get offers to tour, soon new young players are covering their tunes and so on.

I can think of at least two players in that film used to post here and now have successful careers. The film's makers were briefly forum sponsors too.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel