View Single Post
Old 05-31-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
So am visualizing "a family of ducks on crystal meth" and seeing sort of miniature feathered jet skis zooming about pell-mell.
Got the visuals just about right, Kev - now imagine the associated cacophonous soundtrack and you'll understand why Charlie Kaman had it right half a century ago, when he designed the first-generation Ovation pickup to sound natural with a typical mid-60's pro-/semi-pro American combo amp (read blackface Fender/blue-check Ampeg). Not to hijack the topic, but I don't get the whole Ovation-bashing thing - I still use my '82 single-knob Custom Balladeer regularly through a Randall RB-120 1x15", Fender Frontman 212R, or Peavey Studio Pro 60 1x12" for smaller gigs and, albeit very different tonally, it's every bit as viable a performance instrument as my newer (and arguably more electronically-sophisticated) Rainsong jumbos; BTW, as I stated above I'd strongly recommend this for any UST-equipped guitar - the natural rolloff over ~5kHz tames or eliminates the offending frequencies, and as long as you balance the guitar and amp gain (I always run through the low-gain input) "tuning to the room" generally requires nothing more than mild tweaking IME...