View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 01:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstroop View Post
I’m envious of your ability to put your own stamp on so many different kinds of songs, so quickly. I’m working on learning a new piece (Daria’s nice arrangement of The South Wind) and it has taken me 3 hours to get through the first verse. Whew! I don’t know how you do it.

Joe
Hi Joe,

Well, first, thanks so much for taking the time to comment and provide support! I really do appreciate that!

Regarding my ability to learn songs, if I don't have to learn a new technique, then I can learn songs fairly quickly, and that was the case for "4 + 20." I am pretty well versed on the Travis pick, I have known the melody for this song since I first heard it in 1970, so really all I had to do was figure out the tuning and how he was playing the melodic lines. I already had the music in my head from when I was 22 years old, so that gave me a huge head start.

I did spend some time on this song this week, maybe 5-6 hours between figuring it out and recording it. It helps me that I have been playing for a long time, and working pretty hard at it for a long time.

Thanks for your comments, Joe!

- Glenn